It is very important to have regular backups of your WordPress website, especially for beginners. If you are asked what is the most common mistakes in creating a site in WordPress, then the most important one is not making a backup of your site. In this post, I will talk about why you need to backup your site and how you can backup your WordPress website for free.
What is a WordPress Backup?
Backup basically means a copy of your site, which you can restore at any time to reset your site to its previous state. Giving an example will make the matter a little clear.
Suppose you made a backup of your WordPress site on Monday. Now 2 days later, there is a problem with your site on Thursday. You cannot access the site. Or one of the plugins is not working properly for which caused the whole site to go down. In this case, as soon as you restore the backup of your site made on Monday, your site will return to the same condition as it was on Monday.
So if you have a backup, no matter what kind of problem facing on your site, you can solve it instantly. Hopefully, you have understood at least a little bit about how important backup is for a WordPress website.
Now let’s see how to make a backup of the website for free.
Free WordPress site Backup:
The easiest way to keep a backup of the site is to install a backup plugin. My favorite backup plugin is UpdraftPlus. With the free version of UpdraftPlus, you can backup your site easily. It is also very easy to install and configure UpdraftPlus.
Using this plugin, you can backup your site directly to any remote cloud storage, such as google drive, dropbox, email, etc.
- First Go to your website dashboard. Go to Plugins> Add New. In the search box type ” UpdrafPlus“. Install and activate the plugin.
- Now it’s time to adjust the settings. After activating the plugin, you will see UpdraftPlus Backups, another new option added to the Settings tab on the dashboard. Click there.
- Now you have come to the Settings page of UpdraftPlus. You can manually back up the site if you want. If you want to do it manually, you have to click on the “Backup Now” button. However, we will learn how to do automatic backups manually. The advantage of this is that you no longer have to worry about back up the site. UpdraftPlus will automatically back up your site. Bingo!!!
- To set up an automatic backup, first, go to the UpdraftPlus Backup / Restore page and go to the Settings tab. There you can set how many hours, or how many days, or how many weeks you need to keep a backup of your site. It all depends on how often you update your site. If you publish content on the site every day or update the site in any way, then it would be better to keep a backup of the site on a weekly basis.
- Then you need to select the remote storage location. This means that you have to select where UpdraftPlus will keep the backups of your site. UpdraftPlus offers 16 options to select a location in remote storage, you have to select one of them. I usually select Google Drive or Dropbox. Then you need to make the connection of UpdraftPlus with that remote storage. The matter is quite straightforward. Just follow the instructions are shown on the screen and the connection will be made within minutes.
- Congratulations! Your site will be backed up regularly from now on. You don’t have to worry about it anymore. If you ever need to restore a backup, you need to go to the UpdraftPlus Backup/Restore> Existing Backups tab. If you go there, you will see that all the backups of your site are arranged. Once you select the latest and click on Restore, the backup will be restored.
Hope you have got alll the instructions on how you can backup your WordPress website for Free. You have any further questions please let us know. Thanks