It is not so easy to get ranked first on Google search, but not impossible. You can implement SEO properly by installing a WordPress SEO plugin.
But not infrequently, we bloggers feel confused about choosing an SEO plugin. Well, this time we will compare two SEO plugins in WordPress that often make you confused, namely, Yoast SEO and Rank Math.
Both are well-known as the mainstay of WordPress plugins in the SEO field, but which one is better? This article is a cure for your curiosity about Rank Math vs Yoast SEO, let’s see in full.
Get acquainted with Yoast SEO and Rank Math
Before getting into a deeper comparison, let’s get to know these two plugins first.
Yoast SEO at a Glance
If someone asked which one has a long track record, then the answer is Yoast SEO. This plugin was first created in October 2010 by Joost de Valk, an SEO consultant since 2006.
With claim # 1 WordPress SEO Plugin, until now Yoast SEO has nearly 8 million active installations as well as the most users.
Overview of Rank Math
If you visit the official website, anyone will think Rank Math is very professional and a long-time player of SEO plugins. But who would have thought, Rank Math was just founded in 2018.
Even though it is relatively new, Rank Math is well known as one of the qualified SEO plugin providers. It is supported by 600,000+ active Rank Math users.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO: Features
If you have two choices of plugins, of course, the first consideration features. For example, which one has better, more complete, and most SEO-friendly features?
Now, as an SEO plugin, both of them are definitely competing to provide the most superior optimization features. However, of course, some features are the similarities and advantages of each.
The similarities between these two SEO plugins in WordPress lie in the facility of focus keywords, meta descriptions, SEO titles, content analysis, internal linking suggestions, Google and mobile preview, etc.
Then what’s the difference? Before deciding, let’s compare the features of the two.
Like most plugins, the Yoast SEO plugin has a free and a premium version. The free version is suitable for those of you who want to try out what Yoast SEO works for first.
The free version is limited to the following features:
- Access to Yoast SEO free courses;
- Adding related keywords manually;
- Can only optimize one keyword per article;
- Automatic Google indexing;
- Google preview;
- Readability analysis or readability analysis;
- Breadcrumbs ;
- URL settings;
- Nofollow and dofollow settings for each link;
- Compatible with classic editors and block editors;
Actually, the features above are sufficient to cover your core SEO needs. However, the performance is less than the premium features.
Here’s what you can get in premium features :
- Full access to all Yoast SEO courses;
- Optimization with related keywords with SEMrush-based data;
- Adding keyword synonyms;
- Automatic multi-language recognition to improve optimization;
- Monitor important pages automatically;
- Notification to update the content over six months;
- Google Desktop and mobile previews, as well as Facebook and Twitter previews;
- Internal linking suggestions;
- HowTo Schema;
- Internal linking blocks;
- Website verification on Yandex and Google;
- Analysis of content insight, the five words that appear most often in the article;
- Redirect manager, updating old links to new links and avoiding visitors stopping at the 404 Not Found page;
- Integration with Elementor plugins ;
- CSV export, view document overview on keyword focus and SEO score;
- 24/7 support;
The features above can be activated and deactivated according to the needs of your website. So you can limit which features are the most useful and reduce website speed.
Apart from that, Yoast SEO actually still has Local SEO, Video SEO, News SEO, and WooCommerce SEO products. However, all of them are separated into different plugins and they are definitely paid.
Don’t be surprised to find out about Rank Math’s features.
Despite its young age, this SEO plugin provides far more features than Yoast SEO. Of course, the features for the free and pro versions are different.
In general, the Yoast SEO features that have been mentioned are also in Rank Math.
However, for a more complete comparison, here are the features of the free version of Rank Math that Yoast SEO doesn’t have :
- Import All In One Schema Rich Snippet;
- Import from the Redirection Plugin ;
- Has an SEO analysis score;
- Alert notifications in case of missed SEO optimizations;
- Notifications if there are SEO problems on the website and suggestions for improvements;
- Image SEO, auto rename and add Alt Text;
- Google Keyword Suggestion;
- Automatically monitors 404 errors;
- Role Manager, restriction of access rights for website admins;
- Various schemes, such as Book, Course, Event, Job Posting, Local Business, Music, Person, Book, Product, Recipe, Restaurant, Review, Service, Software / App, and Video;
- Website verification on Alexa, Pinterest, and Norton Safe Web.
As for the Pro version, Rank Math provides the following features:
- Integration with Google Analytics and Goog Trends ;
- Keyword Rank Tracker, to monitor the SEO performance of each keyword;
- Schema Markup Generator. So that your content is more organized and visible to Google so that it generates snippets;
- Schema Builder. You can customize your own schema as needed without coding;
- The default schema for articles, products, recipes, events, videos, local businesses, FAQs, and HowTo.
- Google News SEO Sitemap and Google Video SEO Sitemap;
- WooCommerce SEO;
- Content SEO Overview displays the SEO performance of each content on Google;
- Automatically monitor keyword ranking for each post for up to 12 months;
- Custom Schema Builder, create your own Schema templates by coding;
- Using multiple schemas in each post, page, product, etc;
- Dataset Schema, add your Schema to be validated in Google Dataset Search;
- Carousel Schema, etc.
Another advantage, Rank Math has a size of 2.85 MB, much smaller than Yoast SEO, which is 7.18 MB. This point also has a positive influence on the speed of your website.
Just like Yoast SEO, the features in the Rank Math SEO plugin are also in the form of modules, so you can activate or deactivate them as needed.
When it comes to features, it seems that Rank Math is the winner. Because it can provide more features than Yoast SEO.
However, the maximum results do not come from features alone, but also from the strategy of using them.
Therefore, we will also discuss plugin configuration, keyword analysis, appearance, and price of both in the next section.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO: Plugin Configuration
Basically, every plugin must have been set as user-friendly as possible. However, for the first step of use, ease of configuration is very important. Especially for beginners in the world of SEO.
Immediately, here is a comparison of the Yoast SEO and Rank Math configurations.
Because it has penetrated millions of users, of course, the Yoast SEO plugin settings tutorial is already everywhere. However, this time we will focus on the configuration section only.
All you have to do after installing this plugin in WordPress is click the configuration wizard, on the General > Dashboard tab.
There, you have to go through 9 steps for configuring the Yoast SEO plugin to your WordPress.
These stages include website identity, website type, organizational or personal identity, search engine visibility options, multiple user options, and title settings.
Apart from that, there are still options that Yoast has to set in the WordPress dashboard. There are four tabs, namely General, Search Appearance, Social, and Tools.
You need to note that the General and Search Appearance sections are mandatory for you to prioritize. Because that’s where most of the SEO settings are done.
On the General tab in Yoast SEO, there are four tabs that you should pay attention to:
- Dashboard – Contains notifications and detection of SEO issues/problems on your website;
- Features – You can activate or deactivate Yoast SEO features;
- Integration – Can integrate with SEMrush and Ryte;
- Webmaster Tools – Verify your website in multiple search engines. Like Google, Bing, Yandex, and Baidu.
Furthermore, in the Search Appearance section,, you will find advanced settings, such as:
- General – Setting separator title, input category of the organization or personal website;
- Content Types – Settings for post, page, and template content types. Contains several SEO settings, such as SEO title variable, meta description, etc .;
- Media – Option to automatically generate URL for each uploaded media;
- Taxonomies – Settings for SEO in the category, tags, and format sections;
- Archives – SEO settings for archival content, such as author, date, and special pages;
- Breadcrumbs – Option to display breadcrumbs on the website;
- RSS – Option to add content to RSS automatically.
For the Yoast SEO configuration, the setting options are specific to the search engine optimization needs, both for posts, pages, and websites.
However, for beginners,, it seems like you need to be more careful because each setting option provides minimal instructions.
To be able to use Rank Math, you definitely need to install the Rank Math plugin on your WordPress. Next, you need to go back to RankMath.com and create an account there.
After registering, you will get three configuration options. This time we will demonstrate the Easy option for beginners, then click Start Wizard.
The Rank Math configuration consists of four steps before it is ready to use, namely:
- Your Site – Settings for the type of website, logo, and images for social media sharing;
- Analytics – Settings for integration with Google Search Console, Google Analytics, and Google AdSense ;
- Sitemaps – You can enable sitemaps for your website, including News Sitemaps and Video Sitemaps;
- Optimization – Automatically activate / deactivate some features. Such as not indexing empty categories and archived tags, automatically following all external links, and opening all links in a new tab.
The Rank Math SEO plugin configuration is considered very user-friendly and covers enough basic SEO settings.
In fact, this plugin also provides advanced settings as needed.
The advanced settings that you can set include three things, namely:
- 404 + Redirection – Automatic monitoring of 404 not found error pages and setting to correct URL.
- Schema Markup – Select the Schema type for posts and pages, such as articles, job posts, events, etc.
- Role Manager – Setting access rights and Rank Math controls for several categories of website users. For example, administrators, editors, authors, contributors, subscribers, customers, and shop managers. And here is a list of features that you can set according to the user.
After that, you can activate or deactivate each Rank Math module and configure it.
To see all modules, you can select Advance Mode in the upper right corner of the screen first.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO: Keyword analysis
The essence of an SEO plugin is to help users optimize their websites for search engines.
One way is to analyze whether the pages posted can compete on certain keywords? Automatic keyword analysis features are very important.
Actually, the way to analyze keywords in Yoast SEO and Rank Math is not much different.
You can input targeted keywords and the plugin will analyze the article along with the keywords. Then, you will also receive a list or a list of problems that must be resolved so that the page is more optimized.
Even though it has the same system, it is better if you consider the following differences.
Technically, Yoast SEO will automatically appear in each post editor, alongside the block toolbar. Its trademark is a block with the Yoast logo with two small circles.
As in the example above, the first circle is colored orange for readability analysis and the second circle is for SEO analysis.
From here we can easily find out the SEO power and readability for the post.
You can fill in one focus keyword per one post. Later you can fill in the related keyphrase that matches the main keyword.
Let’s take a deeper look, in each keyword you can fill in keyword synonyms. This allows Google to see your posts according to your focus keyword.
Also, on each keyword, you will get an analysis. The results of the analysis are also very specific and complete.
Starting from SEO problems that must be fixed, points that can be improved, and things that are okay from your post.
In the premium version of Yoast SEO, you will get several other analysis features, such as:
- Internal Linking Suggestion – Internal linking suggestions that you can use, this also helps structure your website.
- Google Preview – How posts appear on Google search engines, both desktop, and mobile;
- Facebook Preview – Editing snippets for Facebook;
- Cornerstone Content – Options for pillar content;
- Insights – Shows frequent words in your posts and estimated reading.
If summarized, keyword analysis in the Yoast SEO plugin is not difficult at all.
You can optimize a single post with several relevant keywords along with their synonyms. So, one post can rank on several keywords at once.
And of course, Google can tag a single post with specific keywords and derivative keywords.
The advantage of Rank Math that most closely matches Yoast SEO is the amount of keyword analysis. In the free version alone, the Rank Math SEO plugin can analyze up to five focus keywords.
In each keyword analysis, Rank Math summarizes SEO performance is the use of scores.
Scores from 0-100 are categorized into three levels, namely:
- Score 0-50. The block will be colored red, a sign that the strength of SEO is still very weak;
- Score 50-80. Marked with a yellow block, means there is still a section of SEO that needs improvement;
- Score 80-100. The block is green, meaning that the SEO analysis is good and your page is ready to be published.
Rank Math has also been integrated with Google Trends. That way, all the focus keywords you want can be checked again for their performance on Google.
If you open a post, you will find four SEO score indicators, namely Basic SEO, Additional, Title Readability, and Content Readability.
Just like Yoast SEO, these indicators are complete with error notifications. So you can know what needs fixing.
Because you can analyze more than one keyword, you will get a different analysis for each keyword.
So, if you click on a specific keyword, the analysis results will change too.
This benefits users because they can analyze in more detail into more keywords. So it is likely that one page produces performance on Google with various keywords.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO: Display Editing
A good User Interface will certainly make it easier for users to operate.
Although both have been designed in such a way as to be user-friendly, comfort still depends on each other’s preferences.
Here we describe the differences in the ease of editing Yoast SEO and Rank Math so that you have an idea of how to use them.
In terms of editing appearance, you could say the Yoast SEO plugin has a user-friendly user interface. Why? Because all editing options are in one sidebar for each post.
As we discussed in the previous section, complete SEO optimization needs sequential order. This makes setting easier without fear of missing options.
For the premium version of Yoast SEO, if we scroll down on the editor page, we will see several other tabs, such as:
- SEO – Contains the SEO title, slug, meta description, etc.
- Readability – Excellent problem analysis and readability points;
- Social – Preview Facebook share;
- Video – Adding SEO video content.
That way, Yoast SEO has us the location of the optimization that we have to fill in. Namely the sidebar and toolbar at the bottom of the post.
In appearance, both have a concise, simple, and user-friendly impression.
If we speak about appearance, it seems that Rank Math and Yoast SEO don’t have that much difference.
Because it is also compatible with Guttenberg, you can access the Rank Math SEO plugin’s toolbar directly on the right of the screen for each post next to the block editor.
The difference with Yoast SEO lies in the SEO score and the four tabs of options. There are four options that you can set, namely:
- General – Contains keyword analysis, edit snippets, and SEO analytics;
- Advance – Robots Meta settings (Nofollow, noindex, etc.), Canonical URL, and Redirect options;
- Schema – Schema settings, schema display in SERP, etc;
- Social – Preview snippets on social media like Facebook and Twitter.
Apart from that, another advantage of Rank Math is its compact analytic interface. If you click the General > Analytics option, you will get a screen like the one below.
Views like this will make it easier for you to monitor the performance of each post specifically on one page. Starting from traffic, real-time performance, to Google ranking for each keyword.
Rank Math vs Yoast SEO: Price
If you want maximum results, of course, you need a premium SEO plugin. But of course, it’s paid.
When it comes to prices, of course, we have our own calculations. Which one is more profitable, commensurate with the features provided, and more worth it to buy?
This plugin with the most users is priced at USD 89 for one website per year.
However, Yoast SEO does charge depending on how many sites you use. You can get discounts if you subscribe to more websites.
Apart from that, you can also subscribe to other premium plugins such as Video SEO, Local SEO, News SEO, and WooCommerce SEO. Each is valued at USD 69 per year.
For Rank Math, you will have two choices, namely the Pro and Business packages. If it is for personal needs, it is recommended to use the Pro package which costs USD 59.
However, for a business scale, it is very reasonable to spend a larger budget, which is USD 199.
Both have a 30-day money-back guarantee if you feel this plugin is disappointing. You can also upgrade, downgrade, or cancel your subscription whenever you want.
When it comes to price, it looks like the Rank Math SEO plugin is more profitable. That’s because you can have full features without having to add any premium plugins.
However, it all comes down to your own preferences. Don’t forget, weigh it with the list of features that we have outlined, huh.
Which SEO Plugin is Your Choice?
At this point, you likely have an idea of which one is right for your needs.
However, to make it easier for you to choose, here we conclude the discussion above in the following table.
|SEO plugin||Yoast SEO||Rank Math|
|Features||– Free version features are limited.
– Modular in shape (activation optional).
|– Free version features almost the same as Yoast SEO.
– Modular in shape (activation optional).
– More module features than Yoast SEO.
|Plugin Configuration||– Configure more specific SEO options.
– The wizard configuration is still general, there are additional settings in the Yoast tab.
– Settings still lack instructions.
|– More configurations and details.
– The configuration of the wizard is gradual and thorough.
|Keyword Analysis||– Free version can only analyze one keyword.
– Pro version analyzes up to five keywords.
– Pro version can analyze related key phrases and synonyms.
– SEO analysis is characterized by coloring.
|– Free version can analyze up to five keywords.
– Pro version can input multiple keywords.
– Analysis using SEO scores and coloring.
|Editing View||– It’s in the sidebar of the Guttenberg editor and at the bottom of the post.
– Both are user-friendly.
|– in the sidebar of the Guttenberg editor.
– Both are user-friendly.
|Price||– Limited free version.
– The premium version costs based on the number of websites.
– Premium version USD 89/year for one website.
– Additional exclusive plugins for 69 USD / plugin.
|– Limited free version.
– Pro package IDR 59USD/ year.
– Business Package IDR 199USD / year.
Of all the things offered by these two plugins, basically, they both will help you optimize your website SEO in the eyes of Google. All returned to their respective choices.
To summarize a little, if you want a super complete feature that includes many schemas, you can choose Rank Math.
However, if you prioritize the experience of millions of people who are satisfied with SEO optimization, then you should choose Yoast SEO.