Want to show your content in the top search results? Create content that is relevant to what your target audience is looking for. For that, you need to know about Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) keywords.
LSI keywords are one of the main factors that search engines consider when ranking a site in search results. So, you can use an understanding of LSI keywords to increase website rankings in search engines.
Curious? This article will thoroughly discuss everything about LSI keywords so that you understand their definition, how they work, and how to find them. Come see more!
What are LSI keywords?
LSI keywords are words or sentences that search engines consider semantically relevant.
Let’s take an example. Suppose you write content about the moon (satellite) on your website. How come your site appears in search results for astronomical objects? Why doesn’t your content appear in search results for about a month (date)?
This is because your content contains words such as satellite, eclipse, celestial body, or orbit semantically relevant (LSI keyword) to the moon (satellite).
So, the search engine will identify semantically relevant words. So that your content can connect with one specific topic.
A little bit of intermezzo. Did you know that LSI is an ancient technology? Even Google doesn’t use it.
Yes, you read that right. Google does not use LSI technology. To display relevant search results, they use the Word2vec technology developed by the Google Brain team.
But does it mean that using semantically relevant words on Google doesn’t do any good for SEO?
The Word Vector approach used by Word2vec has basically the same properties as its predecessor (LSI). They both make use of semantically connected words.
The difference is, LSI was not created to accommodate loads as large as the web. In fact, in the past, LSI was only tested using nine documents containing the topic of human-computer interaction. Meanwhile, the successor has been able to handle much more complex problems.
However, why do so many bloggers still use the term LSI?
This is because the use of semantically relevant words originates from LSI. Thus, the identity of the method is still attached to LSI.
How Does LSI Work?
The way LSI works is complicated. Because in practice, LSI uses complex mathematical formulas to understand the relationship between words. But you don’t need to take it literally, really. You only need to understand the outline. This is more or less the process:
- The search engine will look for the equivalent of the word you are using. For example, the month has two meanings, namely the satellite month and the calendar month.
- The word will be identified using semantically connected words. For example, a satellite moon is connected to astronomical objects, orbits, and planets. Meanwhile, the calendar month is connected to January, February, and March.
- The search engine will group the satellite months and calendar months into different categories. The LSI keywords used in the content will determine the type of month you are referring to.
Its role is very important, right? LSI keywords not only give readers the context of your content but also search engines.
How to find LSI keywords?
Now you’ll want to know how to find the right LSI keywords to increase the relevance of your content. Don’t worry, below we’ll explain five easy ways to find it. Let’s check one by one!
1. Use the Autocomplete Feature
You certainly have got keyword recommendations when searching on Google, right?
This is an Autocomplete feature that makes it easier for you to perform searches. This feature can also provide an overview of the words that are frequently searched by Google users.
You can use keyword references displayed by Autocomplete as references when creating content.
For example, suppose you want to create content for about months. You’ll find out what Google users are looking for frequently by entering “month is”:
As you can see, there are many questions that you can answer.
Give the right and interesting answers through the content that you create. The more relevant your answers are to user questions, the more likely it is that your content will rank up in the search results.
Oh, yes. Feel free to be creative with word variations when using the Autocomplete feature. Use words that trigger questions, such as “ is it the month” or “is it really the month”. You will find ideas that you never thought of before.
And don’t forget, always pay attention to the relevance of each LSI keyword. You don’t have to answer all the questions. Look for the ones that fit the most into your content.
2. See Related Search Results
Don’t leave Google yet. There are still other features that you can use to find LSI keywords.
Look for a topic. Then scroll to the bottom of the search page:
This feature will show you words or sentences that are potentially related to the topic you choose.
Just like the previous method, you can take advantage of these words and sentences by including them in your content. So, your content can be more relevant to the chosen topic.
3. Take advantage of LSI Keyword Tools
There are lots of tools out there that can help you find the right LSI keywords. Therefore, next we will review one by one the best LSI keyword tools that you can use for free.
LSIGraphs is one of the most popular free tools for searching LSI keywords. Here’s an example of a search result using this tool:
As you can see, apart from keywords, there are three metrics that are displayed by LSIGraphs, namely:
- Monthly Volume – the average number of searches for that keyword in a month.
- CPC – the amount paid by the advertiser for a single click on the keyword in Google Ads.
- Competition – measures the number of advertisers targeting this keyword. This variable is measured on a scale of 0 to 1. The bigger the number, the greater the level of competition.
You can also consider these three metrics when choosing LSI keywords. The ideal choice is keywords with high monthly volume and low level of competition.
Apart from that, this tool also lets you search for LSI keywords for 10 topics at once. Even so, try to keep looking for just one topic in one search so that the LSI keywords are more accurate.
This is a keyword research tool owned by Google. Actually, its main function is to help Google Ads users find keywords when creating ads. But you can use it to search for LSI keywords too.
To be able to use it, you must first create a Google Ads account. If so, here is an example of a keyword search result using this tool:
In between the rows of columns that appear, you only need to focus on the average monthly searches and competition columns. Try to choose LSI keywords with high search volume and low competition.
Ubersuggest is one of the best keyword research tools which you can use for free. The following is an example of LSI keyword search results via Ubersuggest:
Here you don’t just see the monthly search volume and the level of competition. You can also see the search trend for each LSI keyword in the Trend column. Make sure the LSI keywords you choose have a positive trend in the last 12 months.
4. Check the Pages with the Best Ranking
Look at your competitors’ pages that are at the top of the search results. You definitely want to know which LSI keywords they use to rank high, right?
For that, you can take advantage of keyword research tools too. Below we will explain how by using two tools, namely Ubersuggest (free) and Ahrefs (paid).
Using Ubersuggest Content Ideas
Ubersuggest allows you to search for keywords within the content. Follow these steps to find out how:
- On the Ubersuggest main page, type your main topic. Change the country to your desired country. Then click Search.
- Scroll down to the Content Ideas section. Choose articles with a high number of search visits and social shares. Then click Keywords.
- You will see a list of keywords used in the content you selected.
Very easy, right?
Unfortunately, because this tool is free, there are still many limitations to its use. For example, you can’t sort content by the amount of traffic and backlinks. So, you have to check each variable individually.
In addition, there is a maximum of only seven content that you can evaluate for keywords and backlinks. So it’s quite difficult to do more in-depth keyword research with this tool.
Take advantage of Ahrefs Features
On the contrary, Ahrefs is one of the most fully-featured SEO tools. However, you have to subscribe first to enjoy all of its features.
One of the main features of Ahrefs is the keyword explorer. This feature can display the complete LSI keywords related to a topic.
Here’s how to find LSI keywords on Ahrefs:
- Enter the keyword explorer dashboard. Type in the topic of your choosing.
- Change the country to US, then click the search button.
- In the left menu, click Also rank for.
- Now you will see a list of LSI keywords measured against several metrics. Such as keyword difficulty, search volume, and clicks.
- Try to choose LSI keywords with low keyword difficulty, high search volume, and a high number of organic clicks. These are all characteristics that can make it easier for you to rank higher.
In addition, there is another way to find LSI keywords in Ahrefs, namely by using the Content Gap feature in Site Explorer.
This feature will show you a collection of LSI keywords used by competitors to rank high. Here’s how to use it:
- Enter the site explorer dashboard.
- Type in your website domain. Then click the search button.
- In the left menu, click Content Gap.
- Enter a competitor’s article link that ranks high in the Search keywords column that the below targets rank for. Remember, the article link that is included must cover the same topic.
- If you want the search results not to display the keywords you are already using, enter your domain in the But the following target doesn’t rank for the field.
- When finished, click the Show keywords button.
- If the keyword list doesn’t appear, change the country to US.
- Now you will see a list of LSI keywords that are controlled by competitor articles. This is a great opportunity to grab those keywords and use them in your new content.
5. Pay attention to Google Image Tags
Here is one of the simplest ways to find LSI keywords. You only need to enter your topic in Google Image.
Let’s take an example. Suppose you type “how to create an online shop” in Google Image. You will see various tags in the search results:
In other words, they play the same role as LSI keywords. You can include it in the content to increase its relevance to the selected topic.
What are the benefits of LSI keywords on SEO?
Are LSI keywords useful for SEO?
Of course! You can see it in the following image:
The main keyword is ” how to create a website “. As usual, the main keywords will always bold in the search results. However, there are other words outside of the main keywords that are bold as well, such as ” create “, ” website “, ” web “, and ” create a website “.
These words are LSI keywords that are considered relevant to the main keyword.
Inserting LSI keywords in your content will increase relevance. Automatic. more relevant content will have a greater chance of ranking highly.
In addition to including LSI keywords in your content, you can also include:
- Title tags
- Meta description
- Image alt text
This method can also be referred to as on-page SEO practice. Its function is to optimize the factors in the content so that it is easier for search engines to identify.
If you are not very familiar with the practice, don’t worry. You can stop by our article that discusses on-page optimization steps for websites and blogs.
Use LSI Keywords to Increase Your Website Ranking!
LSI keywords help search engines find relevant sites to display in search results. By taking advantage of it, your content will have the potential to rank up on search results pages.
In this article, you have learned what LSI keywords are, how they work, how to find them, and how they benefit SEO. Take advantage of the best possible LSI keywords to support the relevance of your content.
Interested in learning other methods for SEO optimization? Please visit our article which contains a complete guide to learning SEO .
We also provide an ebook that discusses the 30 powerful steps of SEO optimization. The good news is, you can get it for free!
Finally, I hope this article has helped you to rank better in search engines. Good luck!