Lazy Load is an effective way that you can use to make your website faster. As we know, speed or page load is one factor that should not be ignored by website owners. Besides being able to support popularity, website speed performance is also a determinant of reaching the highest position on search engines.
Why is that? Because the fast and slow loading of a website will have an impact on the visitor experience. Luckily, WordPress users can get great speed performance with the help of the Lazy Loading plugin.
Here is a complete explanation of what Lazy Loading is, its benefits, and plugins to activate it in WordPress.
What is Lazy Loading?
Lazy loading is a technique to increase website speed by delaying loading images and videos on the page being accessed.
Why was it delayed? Usually, all images and videos are loaded simultaneously when loading a website page. If there are a lot of pictures and videos, this mechanism actually slows down page loading.
It’s a different story if you implement lazy loading. When loading the page, only the images and videos that are visible on the visitor’s screen are loaded. Other images and videos will only be loaded one by one when the visitor scrolls down the page.
So, you might ask, will lazy loading damage the appearance of the website? The answer is no. You can see an example below. The one on the left is an image whose loading is lazy load delayed. While the right one is the image after it is loaded.
So, in general, the lazy load can speed up website loading. However, the benefits go beyond that. Come on, see the other benefits below!
Lazy Load Benefits
Lazy load doesn’t just speed up website loading. There are at least four other benefits, namely:
- Easing Hosting Server Performance
When a visitor accesses the website, the browser asks the hosting server to send all the files and scripts that the website needs. With lazy load, server performance is lighter because you don’t need to send all the images and videos at once.
- Lighten Browser Performance
Not only does website speed increase thanks to lazy loading. The visitor’s browser also loads the website faster. The reason is, he doesn’t need to request all the images and videos from the hosting server at once.
- Saving Internet Quota
For visitors who do not watch all the contents of the website pages, lazyload is of course very helpful. The Internet quota usage is reduced because images and videos are only loaded when visible on the visitor’s screen.
- Good for Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Website speed is one indicator of SEO. So, all techniques to speed up website loading, including lazy loading, are useful for SEO. In fact, Google also recommends its use.
So, does lazy loading activation require coding? Fortunately, no. You can use a WordPress plugin to do this. Check out the lazy loading plugins that you can use in the next section!
5+ Best Lazy Load WordPress Plugins
Below we will provide 9 recommendations for the best Lazy Load WordPress plugins that you can download for free.
1. Lazy Load by WP Rocket
The Lazy Load by WP Rocket plugin is a plugin that offers a free service. This plugin is equipped with a feature to display images only when visitors see them. As a result, this feature helps to reduce the number of HTTP request mechanisms so that it can improve website performance faster.
The Lazy Load plugin works with a wide variety of images in page posts, thumbnails, text widgets, avatars, WordPress iframes, and smileys. In fact, this plugin feature can also replace YouTube iframes with thumbnail previews so it can reduce your server load.
Lazy Load by WP Rocket features:
- Imagify – Best image optimization feature that speeds up your site with lighter image load capacity.
- WP Rocket – Best caching plugin to speed up your WordPress site.
- Heartbeat Control – Best plugin to control WordPress Heartbeat API and reduce CPU usage.
2. BJ Lazy Load
This plugin allows you to fully control the loading process on the website. BJ Lazy Load can be used for all types of images, thumbnails, Gravatar photos, iframe content, and YouTube or Vimeo videos.
In addition, BJ Lazy Load can also adjust the screen size to the size of the image. For example, on smaller screen size, the loaded image will automatically shrink. Then for high-resolution screens such as Apple’s Retina Display, the plugin will change the image quality with high DPI (Dots Per Inch).
BJ Lazy Load features:
- Can do lazy loading on all media attachments contained in the entire WordPress theme by using simple filters.
- Compatible with the RICG Responsive Image plugin to produce responsive image quality.
- Can be applied to all types of media ranging from images, thumbnails, Gravatar photos, iframe content, and YouTube and Vimeo videos.
3. WordPress Infinite Scroll – Ajax Load More
The next popular plugin is WordPress Infinite Scroll which works with the help of Ajax-supported queries. This query is specially made for unlimited scrolling that can lazy load pages of posts, single posts, comments fields, and so on. This plugin has also been integrated with WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads with many excellent features.
Infinite Scroll WordPress features:
- Shortcut builder – functions to customize the appearance or function with certain shortcodes.
- Repeater Templates – functions to edit and extend the functionality of Ajax Load More according to your own theme appearance.
- Ajax Filtering – a feature that allows you to filter and update the results of your Ajax queries.
- Has various types of extensions.
4. A3 Lazy Load
A3 Lazy Load is included as a Lazy Load plugin that has an easy-to-use system with maximum results. This plugin has been integrated with the mobile version which can improve the performance of your site.
You can easily set which elements you need using lazy loading. Starting from the image on each post, page, widgets, thumbnails, Gravatars, and various other content. Not only applies to images, but this plugin can also work on videos, iframes, embed posts, WordPress AMP, and Advanced Custom Fields.
Lazy Load A3 Features:
- Lazy loading feature that can be used with various forms of media attachments such as images, videos from YouTube and Vimeo, iframes, embedded posts, and WordPress AMP.
- Integrated with WooCommerce.
- Works perfectly on any type of WordPress theme.
- Fully supports the QueryMobile framework.
5. Lazy Loader
Lazy Loader is a type of lazy load WordPress plugin that is very simple and easy to operate. This plugin is no less different from other types, which supports the lazy loading of all forms of images, videos, audio, and iframes.
In fact, it can also be used to background theme images and scripts with the help of manual modifications. You are free to activate and deactivate this plugin at any time with ease.
Lazy Loader Features:
- Can be set not to lazy load certain CSS elements.
- Can be used on iframes, images, videos, audio, and theme backgrounds.
- Displays the loading spinner.
- Has the plugin l azysizes aspectratio. This plugin works to avoid content jumping, aka the sliding display layout, getting messy.
6. Lazy Load For Videos
As the name implies, this Lazy Load plugin can only be used on media in the form of videos. The Lazy Load for Videos plugin works by replacing YouTube and Vimeo videos with preview images that your website visitors can click on.
The goal is of course clear, namely to increase the loading speed of website pages and the score on Google PageSpeed. Another advantage that can be obtained from this plugin is its ability to convert the entire video into a playlist and only display the video title in the preview image.
Lazy Load for Videos features:
- Can only show the video title on the preview image.
- Adding custom CSS via the admin panel.
- Can choose a color for the Vimeo player.
- Can hide information regarding the title and uploader name when the video is playing.
- Can do lazy loading on the text widgets and thumbnails.
- Works with WordPress Multisite and many other plugins such as TablePress.
7. Zedna WP Image Lazy Load
The Zedna WP Image plugin works by reducing the page loading process by up to 90% by loading images progressively. In fact, this plugin can also be used to lazy load images with CSS backgrounds. Apart from that, Zedna WP Image is also compatible with Visual Composer, a plugin that can revamp your WordPress design to your liking.
Zedna WP Image features:
- Can reduce up to 90% loading process when opening a page.
- Compatible with Visual Composer and WooCommerce.
- Has a fade animation option.
- You can skip certain iframes or unneeded elements.
8. WooCommerce Infinite Scroll and Ajax
The WooCommerce Infinite Scroll and Ajax plugin are perfect for you WooCommerce users. It can change product pagination to infinite scroll. So, you only need to scroll down the page to see all the products without having to switch pages.
Besides being able to lazy load product photos, this plugin can also be used on thumbnail images and set various types of pagination for mobile screen displays.
WooCommerce Infinite Scroll and Ajax Features:
- There are various types of pagination available for mobile devices such as Infinite Scroll, Infinite Scroll with Load More Button, and Ajax Pagination.
- Can be used on WooCommerce thumbnails.
- Can set the product per page.
- There are several choices of special themes.
- Browser history management for Ajax pagination.
9. SEO Friendly Images Pro For WordPress
Besides having the Lazy Loading feature to guarantee a faster website, the SEO Friendly Images Pro plugin can also help you optimize the alt and title attributes of all images on your website so that they are more SEO-friendly.
This is because the alt and title attributes do have a significant influence on the ranking of a website. In fact, this plugin allows you to optimize every link on every post and page in its newest feature. It can also fill in the title attribute for each link automatically.
SEO Friendly Images Pro Features:
- Can sync alt to title and vice versa.
- You can replace the existing alt and title attributes with a custom scheme.
- Works very well with a wide variety of images and thumbnails.
- Supports content from Advanced Custom Fields.
- Speed up website performance with lazy loading features.
- Well integrated into the WordPress update mechanism.
10. LiteSpeed Cache for WordPress
Our final recommendation is the LiteSpeed Cache plugin which also offers a free and practical service. Equipped with advanced cache management and various optimized features, LiteSpeed Caching can be a mainstay for those of you who crave a website with great speed.
In fact, this plugin has been integrated with LiteSpeed Web Server, which is a web server technology that can speed up server access 6 times faster than servers with Apache. So, then, it would be better if you use a hosting service that is already supported by LiteSpeed Web Server.
WordPress LiteSpeed Caching Features:
- Integrated directly with LiteSpeed Web Server.
- Compatible with various other WordPress plugins such as WooCommerce, Contact Form 7, Yoast SEO, and others.
- Has an optimization feature for photos that can affect website page speed.
- There is a crawler feature to check expired pages and refresh them.
To get to know more fully what are the advantages of LiteSpeed Caching WordPress, you can visit our article on the Website More Agile to Use LiteSpeed.
Which is the Right Lazy Load WordPress Plugin Choice?
Using the Lazy Load WordPress plugin is highly recommended if you desire a website with fast access levels. As already explained, website speed will affect ranking results on search engines. For this reason, we provide references to 9 Lazy Load plugins for WordPress users that you can download for free.
Before closing the discussion, we will give a summary of the important features of each plugin.
- Lazy Load WP Rocket – a plugin with the best image optimization features to speed up websites, as well as controlling the WordPress Heartbeat API to reduce CPU usage.
- BJ Lazy Load – compatible with the RICG Responsive Image plugin to produce responsive image quality.
- WordPress Infinite Scroll – powered by Ajax queries which can perform unlimited scrolling. It has also been integrated with WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads.
- A3 Lazy Load – a plugin that integrates with the mobile and WooCommerce versions. And can lazy load various types of media such as images, videos, iframes, to Advanced Custom Fields.
- Lazy Loader – have plugins lazysizes the aspectratio, namely to calculate the amount of space on the media that is loaded ( loaded ) to avoid content jumping.
- Lazy Load for Videos – can replace all types of YouTube and Vimeo videos into preview images to increase loading speed.
- Zedna WP Image Lazy Load – works by reducing the page loading process by up to 90% which also works with Visual Composer.
- WooCommerce Infinite Scroll and Ajax – suitable for WooCommerce users with the advantage of changing product pagination to infinite scroll.
- SEO Friendly Images Pro for WordPress – can optimize the alt and title attributes of all images so that they are more SEO-friendly.
- LiteSpeed Cache for WordPress – plugin with advanced cache management and integrated with LiteSpeed Web Server.
How? Have you got an idea of which plugin to use? You can also check website speed by using the 10 free tools described in our article here.
To get a better website speed, it would be better to use a hosting service supported by LiteSpeed Web Server, such as the one available on Niagahoster. That way, the quality of the speed of your website is guaranteed from the start of its release.